‘Let us remember: one book, one pen, one child, and one teacher can change the world.’ Malala Yousafzei
In reading our intent is to:
- Promote reading for pleasure and foster a love of reading throughout the whole school.
- Develop all reading skills throughout the year but have a school focus for each half term.
- Teach reading through high quality text linked to cornerstones.
- Use the ‘Accelerated Reader’ Programme to monitor and assess children’s reading in Y2-6
- Teach high quality phonics through the RWI programme.
- Use strategies such as ‘pinny time’ to cement the knowledge of phonics.
- Track phonemes known for each child in Reception and Year 1.
- Assess phonetical knowledge each half term and adjust teaching accordingly.
- Swiftly deploy reading interventions (Fast Track and Fresh Start) to those children below expected in reading.
- In KS1 have additional, short whole class phonics sessions to make sure each child has opportunity to learn at age expectations.
- In KS1, have additional sessions to promote quality text.
- Teach text relating to the cornerstones curriculum
- Encourage sharing a book with a parent
- An adult will read aloud to the children daily.